News & Articles
- Terry Ritchie featured in article, “Could cross-border partnerships be the key to serving ex-pat clients?” (12/10/2019) - In today’s increasingly mobile society, it’s not that unusual for people to give up residency in their nation of birth in order to work or retire in another country. In fact, according to the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, there were an estimated 271,642,105 ex-pats around the world in 2019. But what does this globetrotting mean for the financial professionals who advise them?
- The Politics of Investing (10/23/2019) - We all know politics is an uncomfortable topic for many people. In fact, a recent research paper from the University of Nebraska found that politics was making Americans physically sick. According to the study, nearly 40% of Americans reported that they were stressed out by politics, while 20% said they were losing sleep over politics. In recent conversations with clients, politics is certainly on many people’s mind and is hard to avoid.
- Cardinal Point Wealth Management Featured in ETF.com (9/26/2019) - Terry Ritchie, Director of Cross-Border Wealth Services, and Matt Carvalho, CIO, recently sat down with Lara Crigger at ETF.com and discussed some of the tricky aspects of moving abroad. When your expenses are in a different currency from your income, currency hedges and dollar-cost-averaging are normal ways to deal with uncertainties in global markets. But […]
Interviews & Press Releases
- Press Release: Cardinal Point Wealth Management Inc. Acquires Seabank Capital Management Inc. (7/18/2013) - Cardinal Point Wealth Management, Inc. announced today that it has acquired Seabank Capital Management Inc. With the addition of Seabank Capital, Cardinal Point continues to establish itself as the leading provider of cross-border wealth management solutions for residents of Canada and the United States. Cardinal Point Wealth Management, Inc. is a Canadian-based, fee-only financial planning […]
- Terry Ritchie joins the firm as Director, Cross-Border Wealth Services (5/16/2013) - Cardinal Point Wealth Management Inc. (“Cardinal Point”) is pleased to announce that Terry Ritchie has joined the firm as Director, Cross-Border Wealth Services. With a wealth management career spanning 25 years, Ritchie brings substantial experience in the areas of financial, investment, tax and estate planning. Ritchie specializes in assisting affluent individuals and families with their […]
- Cardinal Point Wealth Management featured in the Wall Street Journal, “A Cross-Border Retirement Without Tax Woes” (1/11/2013) - Our own Jeff Sheldon was recently featured in a Wall Street Journal article, “A Cross-Border Retirement Without Tax Woes.” He shared the story of a couple who retired to the U.S. from Canada. While they sought sunny weather and a simpler life, when it came time to sort out their taxes and streamline their retirement […]
- Americans in Canada: Investment Basics (8/20/2015) - It’s a good idea for Americans living in Canada to understand which kinds of registered investment accounts they can have without having to confront onerous taxes and paperwork. Two kinds of plans are friendliest for Americans: The Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) and the Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF). Effectively, U.S. citizens are simply taxed […]
- Americans Selling Canadian Homes Face Tax Issues (8/13/2015) - Canadian citizens are not subject to capital gains tax when they sell their principal residences. Americans selling their homes in Canada, unfortunately, may have to pay the tax. As Terry Ritchie explains in this Globe and Mail video segment, Americans face the tax whether their home is in the United States or Canada. In most […]
- Does it make financial sense to renounce your U.S. citizenship? (8/5/2015) - Americans living in Canada face tax-reporting obligations that can be burdensome—even to the point where one might consider renouncing their citizenship. Our advice is to take a step back and think it through. As Terry Ritchie explained recently in this Globe and Mail video segment, renouncing one’s citizenship not only involves administrative hurdles, but can […]
Other News to Note
- Possible U.S. Tax Changes for Snowbirds (11/8/2014) - A sweeping GOP victory has led to both houses of the U.S. Congress being controlled by Republicans. American voters also chose Republican governors in a majority of states. How do these and other recent changes affect snowbirds? First, there is the so-called “snowbird visa,” which has been held up in the current Senate after passing […]
- Travel Insurance Between Canada and the U.S. (9/10/2014) - Do You Need It? For our Canadian and U.S. clients, cross-border travel includes an array of possibilities, from a weekly commitment to the rare excursion. The question is: do you need travel insurance? In this article, we look at considerations that keep your best interests in mind. Many of Cardinal Point’s clients enjoy the best […]
- The IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Plan (OVDP) Expands Eligibility for Streamlined Version (8/28/2014) - The IRS has recently expanded the eligibility requirements for streamlined OVDP. If you are a U.S. taxpayer with offshore accounts, the streamlined procedures could be beneficial for you, with some penalties waived. To qualify for the streamlined procedures, you must certify that your conduct (not having reported foreign accounts) was “non-willful.” The IRS defines “non-willful” […]